Saturday 14 July 2007

Decoupage and memories

I would like to share with you one of my most cherished things. This is the top of a set of drawers that I decorated many years ago with decoupage. It is chipped and worn but I just love it. This is the top of a set of drawers that I decorated many years ago with decoupage. It has been part of my life since childhood.
It started life as a pale blonde coloured wood with gilt handles set into oval plastic surrounds. When I married it came to our new home and pretty much settled into the surroundings. When I was expecting our first born the drawers had makeover number one. Just a coat of pale green paint. My daughter's moses basket sat on top of the drawers by my bedside for the first few months of her life. Makeover number two came a couple of years later.
The bottom part of the drawers that you can just see is how the whole thing looked after I had refurbished it again. It took me a long time to do it using lots of leftover paint.
The way it looks now was done during one summer many years ago. I had loads and loads of magazines that I wanted to throw out. I went through them and cut out all my favourite images. I then got my children to choose some for themselves that appealed to them. This is the result.
The top drawer was decorated by my son.The middle drawer is my own.
The bottom drawer features all of my daughters favourite things at the time. My husband replaced the old handles with these brass ones. It was used to keep video tapes in. This little piece of furniture has no monetary value but to me it is priceless.
Until next time,
Hugs,
Sandi x